Saturday, December 18, 2010

Butter Toffee

This year for Christmas treats, I made Butter Toffe.
The past few years I've spent 1-2 days making goodies and delivering them to friends/family around town.
Last year I realized that I was neglecting my family too much in my efforts.
And while I love to make and deliver the goodies, I just don't feel right to do it anymore if I neglect my family's needs in order to get it done.
In a few years, once my daughter is old enough to be of help, we'll continue the boxed tins of goodies.
Until then...

Soooo this year, I made butter toffee.
And boy was it EASY!

And yummy!

And EASY!

And yummy!

Just start out with a candy thermometer and some butter.

Add some sugar.


You'll need some chocolate.
I used these.



And these.


And nuts for later.



So you melt the butter and sugar together.


Use that candy thermometer so you can get the mixture up to the correct temp.
310 degrees.
If you have a fun thermometer, it has a special line just for you to check .


Almost there!
Stir continuously.
It's probably the hardest part...stirring...if you call that hard.


Immediately pour it onto a Silpat and spread out with an off-set spatula.

Let harden - 15-20 minutes.

Melt your chocolate and pour over the top of the hardened toffee.


Sprinkle with nuts and let harden about an hour.


Break apart and put the chunks into little goodie bags!
Sorry I didn't get a picture of the finished product!

Did I mention that this was very easy?
And yummy?
Actually, it's probably the best butter toffee I've ever had.
And I think I liked the Candy Quick chocolate best.
But I love sweet chocolate.
If you are a dark chocolate lover, you may want to stick with the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
And my sister has used Ghiradelli chocolate pieces, which are heavenly on their own so they would be yummy too!

PS - After putting mine into the goodie bags, I laid them on a platter and put them in the garage to keep them cool (though they don't need to be kept cool) and out of the way.
Our garage was very cold that night and little chrystalized spots appeared on top of the chocolate.
It looks like I either put sprinkles on top of the chocolate or mold is growing.
I feel the need to explain to every person we've delivered to that it isn't mold.

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment