Monday, January 17, 2011

Homemade Tortillas

In my most recent issue of Cook's Country magazine (if you don't get this, you must), there was a recipe for homemade flour tortillas.
Easy.
Yummy.
My two qualifications!

Start out with flour, salt and Crisco.

Add some water at 110 degrees.
I had a hard time using my candy thermometer so I just made a guess.



Keep using the pastry cutter to form it all into a dough.
You can kneed it on your counter or be like me and just kneed it in the bowl.
Less mess.



Then roll out the dough into little dough balls.
Mine were about the size of Clementines.

Chill for about 30 minutes.
I don't know why.
Just following the recipe.


Then roll the ball out really thin on a floured surface.



Heat up some oil really high, wipe the oil out with a paper towl.
Okay, the skillet is dang hot so use a big wad of paper towls so you don't burn the flesh off your body.
And put one tortilla in.


Let it bubble and cook for about two minutes.


Flip it and cook 1-2 minutes more.


Pop it out and lay it on a plate, covered with a dish towl and repeat until all the dough balls are cooked.
Mine stayed warm but if you need to reheat them, you do it on 50% power for 10 seconds in the microwave.


No comments:

Post a Comment