Monday, January 31, 2011

Pretzle Encrusted Round Steak


The other day, I blogged that we WERE eating here at the Kohler house.
I am a huge fan of most everyone on Food Network and a new show that I love is called Arti Party.
I watched cute little Arti win the Next Food Network Star show a few months ago and am now watching her show.
She's got some great recipes (Indian cuisine).
I don't or haven't ever really eaten Indian food but I do like curry.
So, her recipes sound really good.
The only experience I've ever had with Indian food is when I watched the movie Along Came Polly.
If you've seen it, you know that Indian food may make you want to keep your distance.
So while I don't especially like spicey food, I do like curry.
I already said that.

Okay, here's the new spin on chicken fried steak.
Arti encrusted the steaks with crushed pretzles!

Here you've got a bowl of crushed pretzles.
A bowl of flour, paprika, salt and pepper.
And a bowl of beaten eggs.
Note:  I just stated above that I love curry.  And curry was supposed to go into the flour mixture and I forgot!
I didn't realize it until we were eating that I didn't taste any curry.
OOPS!

Okay, so dip the steaks into the four, then the egg, then the pretzles.
Let them sit on a wire rack for about 20 minutes to "dry out."
This helps the pretzle mixture stick to the steak during the frying.


Honestly, no one was sure about trying this.
Pretzles on meat?
But let me assure you that it was AWESOME!
Very crunchy and a nice salty-ness.
Not too salty, but just right!
You couldn't even really taste that it was a pretzle...just a great crunch!

Since we get a whole beef now that the kids are eating more, I'm always looking for new ways to use up the hamburger and round steak.
This will definately be one to repeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment